Auckland Fish Market
Go behind the scenes on a tour that shows how the fish market functions—from where the fishermen drop off their catch after spending all night at sea, to where local chefs and restaurateurs come to purchase the freshly caught fish. For a truly authentic Auckland experience, watch the fish auction that takes place early on weekday mornings, where dozens of buyers gather before dawn to bid on the ocean’s bounty. Nearly 20 tons of seafood are sold each morning.
At the popular Auckland Seafood School, visitors can learn how to cook and prepare new dishes with a rotating schedule of classes. Or, simply stroll through the retail market where a dozen restaurants, shops, and grocers sell everything pertaining to fish. There’s sushi served in tight hand rolls and baskets of fish and chips, plus markets selling everything from smoked fish and lobster to wine from Auckland’s best vineyards.
Things to know before you go
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the Auckland Fish Market on a guided tour.
- Food tours typically last a few hours and often include a light lunch.
- Wear solid footwear and be sure to dress in layers, as it can get windy along the waterfront.
How to get there
The fish market is located at 22 Jellicoe Street in the Wynyard Quarter, which is within walking distance of Viaduct Harbour and downtown Auckland. There is a public parking lot where the first hour of parking is free. Bright red CityLink buses take passengers around the city center and drop off at the waterfront.
When to get there
The redeveloped market is open daily from morning until late. Wholesale auctions take place weekday mornings at 6am and there is a viewing gallery that can accommodate up to 3,000 people to watch the fishmongers in action.
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Waiheke Island
- Things to do in Tauranga
- Things to do in Rotorua
- Things to do in Tongariro National Park
- Things to do in Hastings
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in Picton
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Wanaka
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Victoria
- Family Friendly
- The Lord of the Rings Tours
- 3 Days in Auckland: Suggested Itineraries
- Waitomo Caves Tours form Auckland
- Must-See Museums in Auckland
- Things to Do in Auckland with Kids
- Auckland Neighborhood Guide
- Don't-Miss Dishes in Auckland
- Where to Find the Best Views in Auckland
- First-Timer's Guide to Auckland
- Romantic Things to Do in Auckland