Kumeu Wine Country
Some of Kumeu’s wineries date back to the early 1930s and the region’s unique “cellar door” experiences take travelers through the process of winemaking from harvest to fermentation. Visitors love sipping glasses of the region’s finest while looking out over the lush Muriwai Valley. A number of wine country tours are available (and are a wise alternative to driving if you plan to imbibe); some combine Auckland city or West Auckland attractions while others focus squarely on wine.
Recent reviews from experiences in Auckland
Things to know before you go
- While Chardonnay is particularly popular in the region, the terroir also produces solid pinots.
- The legal age to purchase alcohol in New Zealand is 18, although parents may give alcohol to their children, under supervision.
- If you’re planning to do a vineyard tour, wear comfortable shoes that are solid enough for walking on soil and uneven ground.
How to get there
Kumeu Wine Country is a 20-minute drive west of Auckland on the North-Western Motorway. It is also accessible via the D60x bus, which departs every 60 minutes and takes approximately one hour.
When to get there
Wine harvesting in New Zealand takes place between February and April, so if you'd like to come for the harvest, the late summer and early autumn are a good time to go. However, most wineries are open throughout the year, and the relatively temperate climate makes Kumeu wine country a year-round destination.
Kumeu Beyond Wine
In addition to exploring Kumeu’s world-famous vineyards, travelers to the region can relax at the nearby Muriwai Beach, where interesting caves and black sand result in one of the most scenic beaches in the area, or hike the well-kept trails of Woodhill and Riverhead pine forests.
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Waiheke Island
- Things to do in Tauranga
- Things to do in Rotorua
- Things to do in Tongariro National Park
- Things to do in Hastings
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in Picton
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Wanaka
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Victoria
- Glenbrook Vintage Railway
- Waitemata Harbour
- Muriwai Beach
- Auckland Zoo
- Auckland Harbour Bridge Climb
- Auckland Harbour Bridge
- Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT)
- Bethells Beach
- Silo Park
- Auckland Fish Market
- Viaduct Harbour
- New Zealand Maritime Museum (Hui Te Ananui A Tangaroa)
- Coast-to-Coast Walkway
- Family Friendly
- The Lord of the Rings Tours
- 3 Days in Auckland: Suggested Itineraries
- Waitomo Caves Tours form Auckland
- Must-See Museums in Auckland
- Things to Do in Auckland with Kids
- Auckland Neighborhood Guide
- Don't-Miss Dishes in Auckland
- Where to Find the Best Views in Auckland
- First-Timer's Guide to Auckland
- Romantic Things to Do in Auckland