Top Bay of Islands Helicopter Tours
In the Air
Nature and Wildlife Tours
Ports of Call Tours
Likely To Sell Out
When are you traveling?
Ports of Call Tours
Time of Day
Read MoreShow Less
With its serpentine coastline and turquoise coves, the Bay of Islands in New Zealand’s Northland beckons adventurous travelers seeking paradise. If you don’t have time to explore the area by sailboat, consider a helicopter ride to view it all from above. Here’s what you need to know.
- Explore the Bay of Islands from a unique perspective on a scenic helicopter tour that takes you above subtropical Northland’s rugged coast.
- Start from Kerikeri Airport or from a helipad in Paihia, located about a 3-hour drive north from Auckland.
- Soar above the ancient kauri trees of the Waipoua Forest, and gaze out over white-sand beaches en route to Cape Brett.
- Learn about the historic townships of Russell and Waitangi with commentary from the pilot.
- Options include a helicopter landing at the Hole in the Rock and a walk with a Maori guide, or combine a Bay of Islands aerial tour with a boat cruise to Roberton Island (Motuarohia) for a hike or snorkel at Cook’s Cove.
- Maximize your visit in a minimal amount of time, with guaranteed on-time return for cruise ship passengers.
9 results | All Bay of Islands Tours
Bay of Islands and Hole in the Rock Scenic Helicopter Tour
Discover the Bay of Islands by helicopter, with an optional landing at the Hole in the Rock. See Cape Brett from above during an aerial tour from Paihia, narrated by a professional pilot. Fly over Russell and Waitangi en route to the Hole in the Rock. Upgrade to land atop the iconic natural landmark, with an optional walk led by a Maori guide.
Hole in the Rock Scenic Cruise Tour Island Stopover Dolphins
Half day cruise of the Bay of islands including the famous Hole in the Rock, Island stopover and marine mammal viewing. The perfect water activity for your visit to the Bay of Islands.
Bay of Islands Tall Ship Sailing on R. Tucker Thompson Including BBQ Lunch
Sail the Bay of Islands on a working tall ship aboard the famed ‘R. Tucker Thompson,’ built in the tradition of a 100-year-old Northland schooner. Ply the waters of the pristine bay, where you can help hoist the sails, climb the rigging or simply relax on board, then swim while anchored in a sheltered bay in the maritime park. Enjoy morning tea and a barbecue lunch, with an optional complimentary ferry ride from Paihia to Russell, where your vessel departs.
Half-Day Bay of Islands Discovery Tour from Paihia
Explore subtropical islands, Maori heritage sites and golden beaches on this cruise around the Bay of Islands from Paihia. Soak up the scenery as you float between the bay’s 144 islands, sail straight through the iconic Hole in the Rock (weather permitting) and tuck into a BBQ lunch or dinner at the stunning Otehei Bay on Urupukapuka Island. Along the way, spot dolphins swimming and playing alongside the boat.
Island Hopper Day Cruise - sailing to wildlife sanctuary island - 6 hr cruise
The Bay of Islands is made up of 144 islands, and the best way to explore them is by boat. On this island-hopping day cruise, you can relax on board a comfortable catamaran while admiring the beautiful views of the sea, islands, and maybe even some dolphins. Snorkel, swim, or paddle board, and stop on land to visit a wildlife sanctuary. This is the easy way to see the bay, as it’s difficult to travel here independently without a boat.
3.5 Hours // Highlights of the Bay - inc Hole in the Rock
Half Day Hole in the Rock Cruise & Island Stopover Escape the crowds and discover the Bay of Islands on a scenic cruise through 144 subtropical islands and along the Cape Brett Peninsular. Listen to the stories and history of the area, keep an eye out for wildlife, and visit the famous Hole in the Rock on Motukokako Island. Enjoy a stopover on one of the remote islands and take a short walk to the island lookout point for stunning views over the Bay of Islands. The perfect way to explore the Bay of Islands! Suitable for all ages, families, solo travelers and couples...experience it all!
Parasailing Adventure Over the Bay of Islands
There are few more unique ways to see the Bay of Islands than catching the wind and parasailing high above the water. See the Bay’s towns, forests and islands – all the way out to Cape Brett’s famous Hole in the Rock – from the sky on this aerial adventure. Take to the skies with your friends or family on tandem or triple flights. Your children can even go parasailing – this adventure is suitable for all.
*Popular Cruise Ship Tour* Bay of Islands and Glow Worm Caves Shore Excursion
When your ship docks in Waitangi Wharf, explore the beautiful Bay of Islands and see the best of New Zealand’s spectacular North Island. Travel through the Bay of Islands with your guide and take in top attractions including Kawakawa and the Kawiti glowworm caves. Explore the Puketi Forest’s rich ecological diversity, sample New Zealand sweet treats at the Makana Chocolate Factory, and gaze out over the Haruru Falls and the Waitangi River.
Phantom Sailing Bay of Islands
Cruising is the best way to see the sub-tropical Bay of Islands. Do this in style aboard the Phantom, a live-aboard private yacht. Your hosts are an enthusiastic sailing family who have traveled the world in their yacht. Sit back and relax on board the Phantom while enjoying views of the islands and bay, with possible dolphin sightings and the chance to snorkel.
What people are saying about Helicopter Tours in Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands and Hole in the Rock Scenic Helicopter Tour"The staff were exceptional & kind. The views were spectacular. We can’t wait to come back for another ride"..."
Hole in the Rock Scenic Cruise Tour Island Stopover Dolphins"The weather did not permit us to visit the Hole in the Rock, however, cruising around the sheltered Islands with an informative, entertaining and well delivered commentary of its history up to the present day was more than adequate. Along with seeing a pair of NZ'S Saddle-back birds on the island."..."
Bay of Islands Tall Ship Sailing on R. Tucker Thompson Including BBQ Lunch"Once in a lifetime must do experience for the whole family. Food was fantastic! Staff so friendly and welcoming"..."
Half-Day Bay of Islands Discovery Tour from Paihia"Great day Got to see and hear about the different islands Also was lucky we got to go through the hole in the rock Then we stopped at a island for around 1.5hrs"..."
Island Hopper Day Cruise - sailing to wildlife sanctuary island - 6 hr cruise"This was a fabulous day on the bay with Luke. He was extremely articulate and knowledgeable as well as a very capable sailor and great host. Would recommend this outing to anyone"..."
3.5 Hours // Highlights of the Bay - inc Hole in the Rock"Trisha, Gabby and Hamish gave us a wonderful tour and great to actually be able to sail through the hole."..."
Parasailing Adventure Over the Bay of Islands"We loved the whole experience from the time I made the booking until we went on the sail. Highly recommended!"..."
*Popular Cruise Ship Tour* Bay of Islands and Glow Worm Caves Shore Excursion"Loved the tour! Our driver Rob was great, we left early and the tour was excellent. He gave us enough time at all the stops so we were able to have some leisure."..."
Phantom Sailing Bay of Islands"Having plenty of time on the helm of Phantom. The skipper shared his knowledge and experiences in a pleasant and jovial manner."..."
We perform checks on reviews
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the best Helicopter Tours in Bay of Islands?
The best Helicopter Tours in Bay of Islands according to Viator travelers are:
- Bay of Islands and Hole in the Rock Scenic Helicopter Tour
- Hole in the Rock Scenic Cruise Tour Island Stopover Dolphins
- Bay of Islands Tall Ship Sailing on R. Tucker Thompson Including BBQ Lunch
- Half-Day Bay of Islands Discovery Tour from Paihia
- Island Hopper Day Cruise - sailing to wildlife sanctuary island - 6 hr cruise
What Helicopter Tours in Bay of Islands are taking additional safety precautions?
These Bay of Islands experiences are providing additional COVID-19 safety measures:
What Helicopter Tours in Bay of Islands are good for avoiding crowds?
These hidden gems in Bay of Islands may have limited interaction with crowds:
- Art & Culture
- Likely To Sell Out
- Outdoor Activities
- Extreme Sports
- In the Air
- Helicopter Tours
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- On the Water
- Tours, Sightseeing & Cruises
- Cruises & Sailing
- How to Get Around
- Bus Tours
- Power Boats
- Water Tours
- Sightseeing Tours
- Tours by Duration
- Classes & Workshops
- Food & Drink
- Seasonal & Special Occasions
- Tickets & Passes
- Travel & Transportation Services
- Unique Experiences
- Eiffel Tower
- Hoover Dam
- Statue of Liberty
- Sagrada Familia
- Burj Khalifa
- Road to Hana (Hana Highway)
- Roman Forum (Foro Romano)
- St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
- Molokini Crater
- Uffizi Galleries (Gallerie degli Uffizi)
- Na Pali Coast
- Blue Lagoon
- Tower of London
- Milan Duomo
- Great Barrier Reef
- Ellis Island
Popular on Viator
- Statue of Liberty Tours and Tickets
- The White House Tours and Tickets
- Antelope Canyon Tours and Tickets
- Hoover Dam Tours and Tickets
- Alcatraz Tours and Tickets
- Stonehenge Tours and Tickets
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum Tours and Tickets
- Beverly Hills Tours and Tickets
- Colosseum Tours and Tickets
- Washington Monument Tours and Tickets
- San Diego Zoo Tours and Tickets
- Space Needle Tours and Tickets
- Eiffel Tower Tours and Tickets
- Pearl Harbor National Memorial Tours and Tickets
- Empire State Building Tours and Tickets
- Art Institute of Chicago Tours and Tickets
- Aquarium of the Pacific Tours and Tickets
- Blue Lagoon Tours and Tickets
- Burj Khalifa Tours and Tickets
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) Tours and Tickets