Salk Institute Tours and Tickets
The Salk Institute is a leading medical research facility known as much for its scientific breakthroughs as its unique structure and design. Named for Dr. Jonas Salk, the creator of the polio vaccine, the building was commissioned by Salk in 1959 and designed to have a monumental feel and spiritual impact. Standing at the edge of the series of uniform buildings, one can really feel the expanse of possibility and the inspiration of the design.
The architect researched monasteries worldwide to build what he referred to as an “intellectual retreat,” which it certainly seems to be today. Standing mostly in concrete and glass, its symmetry and simplicity seems the perfect blank canvas for original thought.
The research undertaken here seeks to find a deeper understanding of biological processes, so that we might discover new cures to existing diseases. Through a spark in imagination and with three Nobel laureates on staff, the institute is breaking ground in immunology, genetics, and neuroscience. The structure itself and the institute both make for an inspiring visit.
Looks like we don't have any Salk Institute tours or tickets. Try one of these other top landmarks.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada