The true flavor of Solvang lies in its quiet, tree-lined streets, half-timber Danish-style buildings, and ample shops, restaurants, and bakeries, not to mention its annual Danish Days festival. Other cultural attractions include the Hans Christian Andersen Museum, dedicated to Denmark's most famous author. Solvang is also a popular stop for cyclists, with numerous cycling-related events held in and around town—the Tour of California often passes through, too.
Recent reviews from experiences in Santa Barbara
Things to Know Before You Go
Solvang is a must-visit for anyone interested in Danish culture in North America.
With good facilities for cyclists, the town is a popular stop for cycle tours.
Parking is free across Solvang, with free daytime RV parking at Veterans Memorial Hall.
Most of the town’s shops and attractions are wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Solvang is located roughly 35 miles north of Santa Barbara, and the journey between the two cities takes around 45 minutes to an hour during moderate traffic. The area around Solvang is full of vineyards and wineries, and Santa Ynez is under a 10-minute drive away. As public transportation in the area is spotty, the easiest way to visit the town is by renting a car or coming as part of an organized tour.
When to Get There
Solvang is a year-round destination, though it's at its most crowded during the summer months. While summers here can be quite hot, things start to cool off in September, just in time for the Danish Days cultural festival. Solvang’s winters are generally mild, and the town sees fewer visitors then; visit around Christmas to learn how the Danes celebrate the holiday.
Solvang is at its most exciting during the annual Danish Days, a 3-day celebration of all things Danish. The festival features free concerts, a crafts market, historical reenactments, and a variety of culinary events, from eating contests to traditional breakfasts. There's also a beer-and-wine garden and plenty of special activities for kids.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Santa Ynez Valley (SYV)
- State Street
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden (SBBG)
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
- Old Mission Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art (SBMA)
- Santa Barbara County Courthouse
- Leadbetter Beach
- Shoreline Park
- Funk Zone
- Stearns Wharf
- Santa Barbara Waterfront
- Santa Barbara Cruise Port
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Sea Center